Recipe by Chef Irie
Foregoing the creamy milk based version of Jamaican Carrot Juice, Chef Irie opted to create a cool carrot juice cocktail modification to the traditional lime-infused recipe. It’s made with the juice of a Granny Smith apple for tartness, nutmeg for spice and some white rum for a mellow kick.
- 1 ½ pounds Carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 2” piece fresh Ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 6 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. White Sugar
- 2-4 oz. White Rum, optional
- Blend the chopped carrot, apple, ginger and six cups of water until fully pulverized.
- Line a strainer or fine-mesh sieve with a cheesecloth and place over a bowl or pitcher. Pour the juice through, squeeze by hand to extract all the liquid, and then discard the pulp.
- Add the lime juice, nutmeg, brown sugar, white sugar and, if desired, rum. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then place in the refrigerator to chill. Serve cold.
Try this carrot juice cocktail next time you’re gathering with grown up friends.