For a close-to-authentic taste of the Bahamas, you’ll want to try these Bahamian conch fritters. While nothing beats the taste of conch fresh from the island waters, these yummy, appetizer-sized morsels are pretty simple to make and just might satisfy your tropical craving.
Bahamian Conch Fritter Ingredients
- ½ lb Conch meat, diced
- ½ medium Onion, diced
- 1 stick Celery, diced
- 1 ½ Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 3 tsp Salt
- ½ Habanero Pepper
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce
- ¾ cup Lakay Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Thyme Leaves
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ cups Water
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 1 tsp. Mustard
- 1 tsp. Hot Sauce
- In a large bowl, mix everything together except the ﬂour, baking powder, and water.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the ﬂour and the baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl, stir, and then add the water slowly.
- Pre-heat a pot or deep fryer with oil, several inches deep, over high heat.
- Scoop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil and allow to fry until golden brown on all sides. Don’t over-crowd them, only fry a few fritters at a time.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to soak away some of the oil.
- Whisk all sauce ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Serve with hot fritters.
For another authentic dish to try alongside your Bahamian conch fritters, check out this recipe for Bahamian Johnny Bread.
Find more recipes like this at www.tastetheislandstv.com.